[01:34] Scott Hartsman, Trion’s General Manager, Chief Creative Officer, and Executive Producer for Rift, gives a brief rundown of general daily schedule
- On any given day, Scott talks with the designers, engineers, artists, audio.
- He’s involved with pretty much every aspect of the game.
[02:45] Scott discusses the scope of the game and how his previous experiences have affected it.
- He oversees Rift: Planes of Telara
- They want to create a high quality, epic experience
- Scott doesn’t want to release unfinished systems and would rather release a smaller set of features that are complete and amazing, rather than a ton of features that aren’t working.
- Trion is on target with their scope for release.
[07:11] Arithion asks about Dungeons and instancing areas of the game.
- All dungeons in the game are instances.
- This decision is completely intentional, they believe that players will be coming to the game with groups of friends.
- Dungeons should be fun, not causing issues between people who are currently at the area you want to be and not letting you get your updates.
- Rifts, Invasions, Defend events, Kill events are all more social (group AND raid content) and everyone can participate.
- Instead of instanced vs. non-instanced dungeons, their focus is how to create social opportunities for people, within their world and content.
[11:20] What are they planning for LFG tools?
- His teams have created LFG tools in other games, but overall LFG tools tend to be underused.
- Very few people want to start a group, so unless there is a system that auto starts a group there is no point in creating an expensive LFG tool.
- At launch, they have a core base of a LFG Channel in channel.
- Full group formation tool is not in lauch scope.
- Warfronts are cross-server, automatically queued, and have automatically formed groups.
[13:29] Arithion inquires about rare item drops in-game.
- Rift currently has them in game.. right now!
- Ultra-rare drops are also already attached to players in PVP.
- They depend on which race and which side of players being killed.
[14:31] Will there be solo, small, and full size grouping possibilities as equally feasible leveling paths?
- Yes, he has leveled up one character entirely solo.
- Currently he has been duoing/trioing content on another character.
- Full grouping the entire game would be tough since there is not group content for every level of the game.
- Once you are past a certain level in-game, there are dungeons for every level range, except for a few patches. Major and minor Rift content also are good for small groups.
[16:16] How much playtime should it take for a player to reach level cap?
- More than an hour!
- Primarily, making sure the amount of content available in-game matches the leveling rate.
[18:23] Scott releases some new endgame content information!
- Arithion confirms 2 Raids, Reputation tasks, Raid Rifts, Level 50 Dungeons.
- Scott adds a Level 50 Warfront, Artifact Collections, Epic-Tier Crafting, and an Achievement system to the list of available endgame content.
[19:38] Scott talks about Raid Rifts.
- Lower level character will most likely not be ambushed.
- They are mostly in high level areas and not instanced.
- Other players can come up and mess with each other, or help each other.
- This is Rift’s version of contested/cooperative content.
- Players get the ability to trade in sourcestone for specific lures to lure out specific enemies (like Raid Rifts).
[21:47] Are there any type of PVP rewards from Warfronts?
- Yes, you can gain PVP favour which will give you access to items.
- You can also gain prestige, which will let you rank up in PVP.
- Ranking up in PVP unlocks new rewards and unlocks new abilities in PVP Souls.
[23:14] Can players attack the opposing faction’s city and will they drop any loot?
- Yes, people can attack each city and their leaders.
- Cities are not meant to be raid content, killing the opposing leader will be mostly for bragging rights.
- It will not be rewarded.
[24:26] Arithion asks about gold-seller spam and any measures in-place to combat it.
- Spam and fraud have increased a lot in the past few years.
- There are a few different things they are doing to prevent it.
- There will be a spam filter by launch, right now it is a basic throttle.
- They are planning on creating an intelligent filter for spam.
- They are building tools to track transactions and patterns of money to help combat spam and cut off the problem at the source.
[26:01] Down the road, is Trion planning on things like server transfers or name changes?
- Not necessary to have at launch.
- There has been discussion about adding it after launch.
- Scott would rather fix other issues, or add something that players would use more at release than something that would likely not be used at game release.
[27:01] Arithion surprised Scott with a trick beta question!
- They are on the road to Beta and the servers are doing well.
- As soon as they are confident about the servers handling the load we will know more information.
- Arithion has VIP passes to give out to people!
[27:44] What has been the greatest challenge thus far in the creation of Rift?
- Playing the zero-sum game that is the development process.
- Figuring out which of the great ideas do they want to invest time in researching and then developing so that it makes it into the game.
- Development is not a single act that takes place.
- There is a lot of Research involved in the Research and Development.
- Research is a lot more expensive than the Development of the game.